Deborah Moebes’s Stitch By Stitch* includes a Picnic Place Mat project. I was initially unexcited by this one as I don’t really need a picnic placement. However, I’m determined to go through to book to learn the skills taught by each project. Midway through my first one, I realized that a rollout pouch with pockets is useful for many things! I made two of these, one for me as a scissor holder and one for Alek to hold his paint brushes.
I used the following supplies:
The first Mat:
- 3/4 yards woven gingham blue which I purchased at $1.99/yard
- Ribbon that I had around.
The second Mat:
- 3 Fat Quarters from Quilter’s Candy Color Wheel Fat Quarter Sampler* (1 for bias tape and two for the Mat).
- Twill Tape* for the tie
Total Materials Cost: $10.24
This is the first project that actually makes use of the bias tape that the book suggests making as an early project. My first mat was a bit of a disaster because my bias tape was completely uneven so it was difficult to get the edges to look good.
This project triggered me to become better at making bias tape. After getting the required tools and nailing down how to make bias tape, I tried again.
The next attempt was far better! The wider, more even bias tape gave the whole thing a more professional look. Alek’s still isn’t completely perfect but the flaws are a bit harder to see on a first look!
I messed up the ties on both of these in slightly different ways. On the first one, I misunderstood the instruction to fold the tie in half before attaching and folded it in half along the width of the ribbon rather than the length. This means that tying it is a bit difficult.
On Alek’s, I completely forgot to add the twill tape when I was stitching down the bias tape. I ended up stitching it just under the seam of the twill tape, but it left a visible line.
There are several aspects of this project which require a good bias tape. The ironed fold of the bias tape is used as a stitch guide after you’ve aligned the bias tape edge with your mat’s raw edge. If you don’t have an even edge on your bias tape this completely fails. This definitely happened to me on the first project.
Additionally, “Stitching the Ditch”, which requires you to restitch at the seem of the bias tape on the front of this project was far easier when the bias tape was wider and the fabric that the bias tape was made from was thicker. With the very lightweight gingham, I had a really hard time pulling the seam apart. It was much easier using the quilting weight cotton.
I’ve been using the gingham to hold my sewing tools. It is good for keeping things together but scissors tend to be too heavy and fall out easily. I have a vague plan to make a similar project in leather or canvas for myself!